By Jennifer Walton

Would you like to spend part of your summer at the MBLWHOI Library studying or writing?

Karush-photo-for-webThe Fred Karush Endowed Library Readership provides the recipient with a study desk and library services in the MBLWHOI Library for one summer month, with limited funds granted for travel and/or housing. Applications are being accepted now for summer 2015; the deadline to apply is February 15.

The MBLWHOI Library has long been a working home for scholars and researchers in Woods Hole, offering a unique and historic environment for scientific study and writing. A Library Reader desk in the book stacks is a quiet space in the middle of the vibrant MBL community.

Here are a few comments from researchers and scholars on the MBLWHOI Library Reader experience:

“Every time I have a big writing project, grant proposal, or review paper, I try to find an excuse that will allow me to do it at a desk in the MBLWHOI Library. In many ways, the library is the most valuable feature of the MBL. It contains one of the largest, most comprehensive, and most complete collections of biological and oceanographic primary literature in the country, perhaps the world …  Although it comes as a surprise to my students, not everything is available on the Internet or for free—but it is usually in the stacks of the MBLWHOI Library.”

Sidney K. Pierce, Emeritus Professor of Biology, University of Maryland and Emeritus Professor of Biology, University of South Florida

“The MBL journals collection is one of the most inspiring library collections I’ve ever encountered. It’s the perfect source for anyone interested in current biological research and its historical origins, valuable not only to biologists, but also to historians and philosophers of science like me.”

Florian Huber, University of Vienna

Questions? Please contact Jen Walton, Coordinator of Library Services, at 508-289-7452; .